Atrium Research & Consulting LLC is a scientific market research and consulting practice which provides the insight and education organizations require to cultivate successful data management strategies and solutions. Its mission is to provide input on best-in-class educational products and services through balanced and unbiased information. Atrium’s customers include: biopharmaceutical, industrial, and government research and development organizations. During Launch2014, Atrium Research discussed industry trends.
Trends in Scientific Data Management
Today there is a major shift in critical-path life science R&D with Asia gaining significant strength in collaborative research. This is particularly evident in China. In addition, there is a shift in biopharma investment to smaller, mid-size organizations with 44% of R&D spending focused on external organizations. Approximately one third of USA life science biotech research spending is in virtual R&D companies. A key issue is capturing and cataloging the huge big data emanating from this R&D externalization trend. In fact, today 75% of external data is still managed by email!
The significant trends that are seen today are as follows:
1) A drive to good enough information management vs. best-in-breed
2) External R&D spending vs. in-house programs
3) Biologics vs. small molecule research focus
4) Quick projects vs. long term programs
5) Open source tools vs. proprietary software
6) Integration of systems/tools vs. fixed hard coded solutions
7) Reusable software components vs. monolithic applications
8) Contract IT services vs. internal support
9) Big data tools vs. warehouses
10) Bridging virtualized ecosystems with tools for project management, workflows and analytics
Information technologies that facilitate the workflows on the above key trends will prosper. Also, the ability to bridge structured and unstructured data using modern IT technology (ie. Hadoop and Cloud implementation) for critical-path knowledge management is a trend that is on the increase again.
To hear more from Atrium Research, register to watch ourvideos from Launch2014.